Founded as the Aberdeen Bach Society by Charles Sanford Terry in 1913, Aberdeen Bach Choir was reconstituted in 1956 under conductor Willan Swainson. Beginning with a core of twelve members, the choir now consists of more than a hundred singers and usually performs two main recitals a year, at least one of which normally features a work by J.S. Bach. In 2006, the Choir celebrated its 50th Anniversary since reconstitution.
Aberdeen Bach Choir has singers from different professions - as well as having various members who are connected to music through teaching, many others enjoy singing in the choir.
Usually, professional soloists are imported for the main concerts, but in addition to this various members of the choir have coped admirably with the demands of solo singing.
The choir normally holds its regular performances twice yearly in St Machar's Cathedral in Old Aberdeen but over the years it has also performed in other venues in the city and beyond - in 2008, there were performances in London and Brechin in addition to the two performances in St Machar's Cathedral in April and December.